Monday, February 7, 2011

Book Review: The Kite Runner

This is the part where half of my friends disown me because what I'm about to say will shock them to their socks.

Confession: I don't really read that much...

*ducks as rotten fruit and beer cans get thrown at my face*

Ok ok ok. So when I get a good book, I can sit down and read it for hours. But I read a book maybe once every few months. I'm just not the type of person who is always reading a new book or looking for a new book to read. For instance, I would never have read The Kite Runner if I I wasn't supposed to read a book of my choice for english.
But I heard it was good, so I gave it a chance.

Confession Number 2: I do not cry during books and movies. Like, ever. I cried when I read Harry Potter 7, four years ago. I cried when I saw Titanic for the first time. I cried during Toy Story 3, but only a little bit.

...The Kite Runner made me cry like a little girl. I just sat down to read this book because I need something to read for english, and I was instantly hooked. I could not put this book down. I read it all in one morning.
And it totally made me cry.

The Kite Runner is the story of a boy, Amir, growing up in Afghanistan. He has a best friend, Hassan, who is also his servant, and is essentially the minority, or the lower class that is discriminated against. It is also the story of Amir's strained relationship with his father.

The book is full of plot twists, and irony. You instantly feel connected to the characters, feel their pain, experience their sorrows. Khaled Hosseini is a brilliant author. At first I thought the story itself didn't really sound that great, and I was afraid it would be a hard book to read. But I was sooooo so so wrong. It wasn't hard to read or understand at all. And even though the story sounds really cliched it is really a very unique and touching story. It's so interesting to see Afghanistan and America through the eyes of an Afghan. I now have a completely different perspective of Afghanistan than I did before.

Honestly, if you haven't read this, then you haven't lived. Go read it pronto.

Ten stars out of ten. Simply brilliant.

Peace!

No comments: