Wednesday, June 29, 2011

100% of goodness.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about cars. And why I hate them.

Not really, I love cars. They make getting to places a lot easier. But they are beeping expensive!!

First, the car itself is expensive. Nobody has 10 grand sitting around. I sure don't. Even if you get a cheaper car, it'll still be several thousand bucks.

Then, you have to do maintenance. Because something is always going wrong with the car.

And then you need car insurance, just Incas you end up parking your car into somebody else's...

And, finally (though there are many other things) gas! Gas is mucho expensive. And it's always a huge issue for everybody. Wars are even fought over it!

And so, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, my dream car.



This, is the Nissan LEAF.

I wrote a paper about it for Coach Wong's drivers ed class when I was a sophomore, and ever since I've known that this is the car for me. For several reasons.

1 - I love Nissans in general. My dad has a Nissan Murano and I love to drive it any chance I get. I like the look of their cars and I like the feel of the ride. If that makes sense. I don't know much about cars, so excuse my lack of professional car language usage...thing.

2 - It is a small car. I like small cars. My current car is a giant old GMC which I am not on friendly/speaking terms with right now. Driving big cars is scary and I prefer smaller cars. I don't care about looking like a sissy, driving a small car. I don't feel cool driving my truck, anyhow. Well, sometimes I did. But not now. Moving on.

3 - Finally, to my main point, the Nissan LEAF is 100% electric. In other words, zero, zilch, nada, NO gas whatsoever! There isn't even a place you can put gas, or a tail pipe. Therefore, if everybody was driving this car, we would never hear the words "I need gas money" again. Not only does that prevent us from having to buy gas, but it also makes it the most environmentally friendly car on the market right now. It doesn't spew any sort of nasty gunk into our air. Driving it does not harm the environment, unless you crash into a tree. Then that would just suck for you.

Of course, you do need to charge your car. But get this! It costs us (depending on which car we have) about 40 to 80 bucks to fill up a tank. That's just each time we fill up, which for my family is once every 2 weeks about (for my dad, it's like 3 times a week, since he drives a lot for his work.) But still, that adds up fast!

With the Nissan LEAF, you wouldn't need to fill up on gas, but you would need to charge up your car. In electronic terms I'm not going to explain, it would cost you about $2.75 to fill up your car from completely empty to completely full power. So even if you charged your car completely every single day (which you probably wouldn't, as a completely charged battery can run for around 100 miles) you would end up paying like $90 bucks a month. Which is dramatically less that what you are paying for gas right now. Chances are, your energy bill would increase by maybe 20 or 30 bucks a month, but your gas bill (for your car) would vanish. Also, the LEAF can regenerate energy while you drive. Or rather, if you are breaking or coasting, it takes the energy you would have been using and converts that into battery power...essentially.

Now, I swear I'm not trying to sell you anything. But can you see why I love this car so much?? It's everything I need. I don't want a sports car. I want a Nissan LEAF.

And yes, this was like the Readers Digest version of all the details. But these are the basic facts.

And yes, I have heard of such things has hybrids. Believe me. I have. *cough cough Prius cough cough* but I PROMISE the Nissan LEAF is a lot different, and in my opinion, a lot better. No offense to any Prius owners. This is just the rantings of a girl about her dream car.

So there you have it. My dream car is the Nissan LEAF. I want one...more than I want a puppy. I want one more than I want a thousand puppies. Because, at least for me, 100% electric = 100% of goodness.

Peace!

No comments: