Saturday, March 24, 2012

Color Fest!

.

In my life, I've always been the one to suggest doing crazy things, and usually people just say "Kaela, you're funny" and don't realize that I'm actually being completely serious.

Today, I got 4 people to go along with my crazy idea.

Me, Chase, Nicole, Whitney and Tim went to the Hari Krishna color festival. It was very, very wild. It is the closest I will ever come to being a hippy, getting high, and going to a rave. But, I had a TON of fun.

And now my hair is green! Not really. But the blonde streak I have in my hair is tinted green. And my face is tinted purple. It looks like I either have a strange disease, or get frequently punched in the face. So...yeah.

But, it was totally worth it! It took us forever to get there; we took the back roads up to Spanish Fork to avoid the congested freeway, and then took a shuttle to the temple. The awesome thing about the color fest is that everybody is just happy and excited and random people come up and hug you, and people throw chalk at you, and you throw chalk at random people, and it's socially acceptable!

There was even a really nice guy as we were walking in, who looked at me and then said "Close your eyes!" and then chucked chalk into my face. And then there was another guy, after we got in, who looked at me and just chucked chalk into my face with no warning. And getting chalk in your eye is no fun.

The sad thing is, we missed the throwing. There was one at 3, but we thought the next one was at 4. So we were just standing there, and then we heard "THREE, TWO, ONE!" and everyone threw chalk and we totally missed it. And then we thought there might be one at 4, but the guy announced the next one was at 5, so we left, and then at 4 there was a random throwing. So that was kind of lame.

But, between 3 and 4, some crazy awesome things happened. For example, I went crowd surfing...twice. Crowd surfing is one of those things that I always wanted to do, but never figured would actually happen. So when it was happening, it was kind of one of those "I can't believe I'm doing this!" moments. Which, thanks to my rather boring life, I don't have many of those moments. So I went crowd surfing and it was really fun.

The second time I crowd surfed was actually kind of scary. I got back to Chase, Whitney, Nicole and Tim, and then some random guy next to them was all "wanna crowd surf!?" and I was like "no thanks, I just went." and then he picked me up and threw me into the crowd. So I got passed around again, except this time, I got dropped...a lot. And then every time I got dropped people would just pick me back up and pass me around some more. But I know I kicked a lot of people in the face, accidentally. And there was definitely a moment where I was like, "I am scared, where are my friends, getting dropped is kind of painful, where am I?" And there was a point when I got dropped where I accidentally did a flip and basically landed on my head.

Anyways, crowd surfing was pretty fun. Minus all the getting dropped and getting lost and kicking people in the face. I feel like that screwed my chances of ever getting one of those really big callings in the church...like a mission president's wife, or general young women's presidency or something. As I was watching their talks tonight, I thought, "I wonder if Ann M. Dibb or Elaine S. Dalton have ever crowd surfed? Proooobably not." You never know though. Imagine me in 50 years speaking in General Conference: "My dear youth of the church...when I was your age...I crowd surfed at this crazy thing for a different religion called the color festival! I was also obsessed with this song called "Strange Clouds" by B.o.B and Lil Wayne, and Bottoms Up was my ringtone. I certainly loved rap. I also learned how to break dance!" (that one hasn't come true yet...but hopefully it will.)

Yeah. That is one scenario I never see happening.

As long as we're talking about religion, I think it's pretty safe to say that Hari Krishna is a religion...I've even heard that it is a cult, but yeah. It was interesting, because while we were there several weird analogies about religion popped into my head. For example, we were walking past the temple, and there were a bunch of people in the temple and on the balconies, all colorful and enjoying themselves and what-not. And for some reason, I couldn't shake the impression that the whole scenario reminded me strongly of the great and spacious building from Lehi's Tree of Life vision. Crazy stuff, huh? I'm not saying the color fest is evil. I definitely had a lot of fun. It was just an interesting thought I had.

Anyways, color fest was awesome. I would totally go again, except this time I would probably bring something to protect my face. And I would not miss the throwing. The question is, would I crowd surf again?

Heh. ;)

Love,
Kaela

No comments: