Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tangled Movie Review

Confession:

I've never been that big of a Disney fan. I think I was comatose for half of my childhood, and never got around to doing what all the cool kids were doing, aka watching disney movies. In fact about half of the classic Disney movies I hadn't seen up until this last summer.

Disney princess movies, especially, never really appealed to me as a child. Maybe I was a lil bit of a tomboy, or never really wanted to be a princess, or whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is my life has been very sans Disney. I've never even been to Disneyland. (I shake my fist at all of you who are going on tour. Sigh. Just kidding! Of course I'm not. I'm not jealous, not one bit. Don't give me that look. I'm going to go see the Justin Bieber movie! In 3D! I can't even see in 3D. Hey who cares whatever right?? Heh. I bet all of you are jealous of me now. Ha ha! Ha! Heh...)

Ok ok life which has lacked Disney. Got it. I've just never been terribly impressed. The classic Disney movies, like the ones from the 90's, are pretty boss. Lion King, Hercules and Mulan were probably my favorite, and thats about it. Nothing else was that prominent.

And it's not like Disney, in the decade of 2000-10, really impressed me that much. Nothing they came out with was what I could say 'Okay, that is up there with the classics of the 90's. That was really good."

..........

TANGLED IS THE SINGLE GREATEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

It was around this time last year that I watched Iron Man 3 times in one day. I declared that Iron Man was my favorite movie...ever. And now it is time that Iron Man hands over the crown he wore for a year, and hands it to Tangled.

Tangled was one of those movies that was completely flawless. There wasn't a part where you were like 'wow, that was really dumb and unnecessary. That character bugged me the whole way through. It was really cheesy."
Tangled was one of those movies that you walk out of the theater DYING to go see it again that second.
There weren't too many songs, but there weren't too few, either.
The songs were catchy.

It also wasn't a stereotypical Disney princess movie. It's hard to even classify it as that, even though it totally is. First of all, Rapunzel wasn't a complete airhead with no sense of character or personality. She was cute, and funny, but also tough enough to not be a complete damsel in distress. Also her voice was incredible. Mandy Moore did a fantastic job.
Another stereotype it avoided was that of the nameless, faceless Prince Charming, who rides in at the last second to save the princess from the evil dragon/lady/octopus (my knowledge is limited, bear with me).

Flynn Rider...is the single best character Disney has ever come up with.
I'm just going to say a few things about Flynn (or Eugene Fitzherbert, whichever you prefer).
He is so classy. He isn't the picture perfect prince from all the other movies. He starts out as a completely self centered thief, and ends up falling in love with Rapunzel, and turning his life completely around. Also his personality is exactly what I want in a man.

FLYNN RIDER IS EVERYTHING I WANT IN A MAN!!!!!!!! AAHH WHY DOES HE HAVE TO BE ANIMATED, GOSH DANG IT?!?!??!?

whew. okay. calm. Anyways, you get the idea. Flynn beats out all the stereotypes and becomes the best character ever thought up by all of man kind.

The story itself was super cute. Rapunzel wanting to go see the lights was a cute twist on the original story.

Actually, the original story was creepin to the max. Rapunzel is a brat whore, the prince is her brother, and there is lots of blood and gore and...yeah.

I like the Disney version a lot better.
And I should probably wrap this up, so, suffice to say, Tangled is incredible. If you haven't seen it yet, go see it...and take me with you. I've already seen it 3 times and I intend on seeing it at least ten times in the theaters alone. Which might seem excessive but it really is that good.

1,000,000,000,000 out of 10. Best. Movie. Ever.

Peace!

No comments: