Blog Archive

Friday, January 20, 2012

Blogging Disney: Part 3 & 4

.

Aha! I bet you forgot about these. Don't worry, I did too.

But I'm going to keep this short and sweet since it's almost midnight and I'm super tired and even a little bit grouchy. Probably because I'm tired.

I watched The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty with Whitney. Back to back. We also ate delicious candy.

The movies:

Much to my surprise, I liked The Little Mermaid. Ariel is kind of a boss. Well...kind of. Actually, I'm jealous of her hair. And how she can look adorable even when she can't even talk. For what it's worth, the real Grimm Brother's tale of The Little Mermaid I believe ends in Ariel committing suicide. Let me check on that. Yep. She watches the prince marry somebody else, and is offered a knife to kill him with, but instead kills herself and falls into the sea where she turns to froth. How romantic. But really, I did like Disney's take on it. I think Ursula is crazy, and one of the better villains Disney has come up with. Also I thought the soundtrack was decent. Alan Menkin, who created the Tangled soundtrack, also wrote the score for Little Mermaid. So the main songs were pretty good. I still like the Tangled soundtrack better though. But that doesn't really matter. My favorite part: Ariel's hair. I just love her hair. All of it. I wish I had her hair. Actually, let's get technical. I just want the volume of her hair. Too technical. Moving on.

I thought Sleeping Beauty was a waste of time. It was way old, which was weird, and even though there was plot and conflict, there was zero substance. The two main characters didn't even have personalities. Why do people cherish Princess Aurora so much when she doesn't even do anything? I know, hate the critic who hates all things classic and good. I should appreciate the sentimental value of it. Then again, I did watch it right after Little Mermaid. So I guess my expectations were a little high.

So there you have it. I guess that's what I get for trying to appreciate Disney when I'm tired and angry.

No comments: