Blog Archive

Monday, January 30, 2012

Sunday post 3.5: Yeah, I know it's Monday. But...

.

Here's the thing about me. I love to write. I could write all day. Not really. I have to be in a certain mood to write. And usually I'm in that mood, but I'm not in that mood when I'm sick and I feel like my brain is full of cotton. And yesterday I had a giant headache, so my writing skills and ideas were not up to par, so I just wrote something really quick so that I wouldn't be giving up on the Sunday post idea after 2 weeks.

Now that I'm in a writing mood, I have a few quick things to say to complete my Sunday post. Or improve it. Or something. Yeah.

This is something I've struggled with before, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. But sometimes I've found it hard to recognize if the Spirit is trying to speak to me, or if it's personal revelation I'm getting or just random stuff I'm coming up with that isn't really useful at all.

So here are a few things I've discovered over the years.

Scriptures: I've discovered time and time again that when I'm troubled about something or completely depressed and in need of comfort, the scriptures have always, ALWAYS been there for me. When I'm praying about a question I've had a scripture pop into my mind that answers my question perfectly. I can't stress enough how important it is to read the scriptures. They've helped me more than I can possibly describe. And in pretty miraculous ways too.
I vividly remember, on probably the worst day of last year, one of the worst days of my life, sitting in my car, crying my eyes out, with my scriptures in my lap. I remember praying for just one scripture that could get me through what I was going through. I opened my scriptures to a chapter I've read a million times, but one verse stuck out that I had never even seen before. It was in D&C. And that one verse has definitely carried me through that trial that sometimes I still feel like I'm experiencing.
I've had many other experiences very similar to that. I could write a book of all the experiences, and I'll probably give some more examples in more of my Sunday posts. The scriptures are real, and reading them will bring you more joy than you know.
The same goes for Patriarchal blessings. If you don't have one, I would suggest getting one. Mine has given me a lot of guidance through my life. It's even helped me decide which college to go to.
Richard G Scott talked about the scriptures in the last October conference. He said "Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration on high." Another quote I liked is when he said "To memorize a scripture is to forge a new friendship." That is so true. Whenever I've felt completely alone, I've always found comfort in reading the scriptures. Go read that talk. For reals. I would copy and past the whole thing into this post, but this is already getting long enough ;) seriously though, when you have time, read it. You won't regret it.

Write things down: If you ever have a distinct impression or thought while you are seeking the answer to a question, WRITE IT DOWN. A few nights ago I had a little idea pop into my mind, so I pulled out my phone and wrote it down. But out of nowhere more inspiration started coming and I ended up writing like 8 pages of text. It was wild. Unrelated, but that's exactly how I've ended up writing my last 2 articles for Journalism. One idea turned into an 800 word article...at midnight. Crazy stuff.

And finally, I learned this in Sunday School yesterday. My teacher said this one little thing that stuck with me:

"If it's good, then it's from the spirit." So in other words, if you have an impression pop into your mind, and it's something good, then it's from the spirit. If it's bad, then it probably isn't. Nuff said?

Well...I'm not sure how this got so long. But I guess that's what I get for blogging when I'm in a writing mood. Maybe I should be writing up my English paper...yeah?

Have a great...(mon)day!

Love,
Kaela

No comments: