Blog Archive

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Jusss Another Lazy Sunday Afternoon

.

11:00 church is a blessing. It allows me to sleep in, but not too much, and then I still have an afternoon to do stuff with after I get home from church.

I take the commandment to "rest on the Sabbath" very literally. I will rest from putting on makeup (usually), I will rest from wearing clothes that are uncomfortable in the slightest, I will rest from work, I will not take more than the maximum steps in a day, I will not work too hard preparing my meals. I will wear sweats, I will sit on my bed, and anything that needs to be done will have to be done there. So usually I end up sleeping or blogging or both.

I used to fill my Sunday afternoons with homework, but I'm really trying to avoid that. At the beginning of the school year somebody came to my ward and gave a talk and mentioned how much better he did in school when he didn't do homework on Sundays. So I challenged myself to finish my homework during the week so I wouldn't have to do it on a Sunday. And that never ended up happening throughout the entire semester. Pretty sad, I know. But this semester I can kind of kick back a little bit. After all I only have school 2 days a week (I'm gonna need that time though. Professors love to dish out homework. Especially reading...)

So now my Sunday afternoons are free. So I sat down and had a little conversation with myself.

Me: Okay, Kaela. We're really going to do it this time. No homework on Sundays. So what are you going to do with your afternoons?
Me: Sleep...
Me: Okay, what else?
Me: Eat...
Me: Anything else?
Me: Blog...
Me: About what?
Me: This stupid conversation we're having.

Anyways, I came to the decision that on Sundays, I should blog about all the religious inspirations I have throughout the week. Some weeks are better than others, and the only one I had this week was that going to the temple on a Friday morning shouldn't be a problem, but it is when everybody doesn't have school for some unknown reason so it's bloody crowded and you're late for Journalism and you're worrying about that and how it's your last normal day of high school and....yeah. So crowded temple = angst. I can't wait for the Provo Tabernacle Temple to be finished. HOLD THAT THOUGHT. I can. I can wait as long as I want. That temple is my insurance. (I actually feel pretty cool whenever I say that. It's good to know that I've already invested in insurance while I'm still in my youth.)

I also decided that I can Pin to my heart's delight, as long as it's only the food tab. I have weird rules, but it's okay. I think we all do.

I did have an inspiration come to me today though. And you might think, "Kaela, that's not an inspiration. That's just...sad." But please, don't judge. I'm just a girl.

Music and I have been fighting a war since the summer of 2009, when I decided that I didn't want to only listen to Coldplay anymore and I needed to branch out. In fact I should listen to more than just one band, ever. It's what normal people do.
So I started listening to the radio and top 40, and then my cousins got me interested in boy bands, hip hop, and that kind of stuff.
Then at EFY the next summer I decided that I would stop listening to music with any swear words in it. That didn't last longer than a day. While I usually buy or download edited versions of songs, music nowadays is just full of junk. Even if they aren't swearing, they're talking about getting drunk and taking off their clothes. So...I'm working on it. I really am. Really.

One thing I have been exceptionally good about is not listening to music on Sundays. Which makes my life kind of quiet, (just kidding, it's never quiet in my house...) but I have that rule so I can feel like I'm keeping my Sabbath day holy for not just the 3 hours I'm at church. Which sometimes are full of more conflict than I would like. Today was one of those days.

So I came home thinking "Grr church troubles I want pizza" and then got my pizza and got on Pinterest and here is where I had my revelation.

I can't listen to music on Sundays. But I can listen to churchy music...like Motab!

Motab is music!

That was my grand revelation for the day. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is music!

So I got onto grooveshark, and made up a playlist called "Motab Jam" and started filling it with songs. I wasn't really feeling in a Motab mood, so I had to ease myself in with some "All Creatures of Our God and King" and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" because you can't listen to those songs and then NOT be totally in love with Motab.

So now, I'm pinning food, blogging about spiritual inspirations, and listening to Motab. A Sunday afternoon well spent.

Look forward to these Sunday posts. They should get pretty epic.

Love,
Kaela

1 comment:

Carrots said...

Motab...is music?!?
Surely not!